Researchers have demonstrated the importance of good-quality sleep time and time again, showing that a solid night’s rest can contribute to many aspects of physical and mental well-being. One new study has explained how sleep contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system.
The Best Bach flower products and Essential Oils for Sleep Problems
If you have sleep problems such as insomnia, inability to stay asleep, or other issues like anxiety that cause you to be unable to quieten your mind of circular thoughts that you cannot do anything about right now, try using some of these calming essential oils or Bach flower products for sleep problems to help you improve your sleep.
The Best Essential Oils
Peaceful Sleep – Duo Box32.95 €
- Lavender – One of the most widespread essential oils used for sleep and anxiety reduction, this subtle oil helps reduce anxiety, reduces pain, and helps get more sleep.
- Chamomile – You may be used to having this in a tea, and that is still a great way to enjoy it. However, chamomile oil used in your bath will also help you sleep.
- Vanilla – This scent is not totally an oil; it’s more of an absolute. However, adding a drop or two of vanilla to any of the other essential oils will improve the overall effect. Vanilla scent on its own will soothe and relax you too.
- Rose – This familiar floral scent works great to help relax and induce sleep for most people. If you prefer flowery scents that aren’t overwhelming, try rose.
- Sandalwood – This woody and earthy essential oil is a no-brainer for anxiety, which is often the cause of sleep problems. Note that for some people sandalwood invokes wakefulness, so you may want to try it alone before adding it to anything else.
Once you decide what kind of essential oil or combination of oils you want to try, you may want ideas on how to use them. Let’s look at a few.
Tips on How to Use These Essential Oils for Sleep
Sleep Roll-on – 10ml14.50 €
- Use an Air Diffuser – You can purchase an air diffuser that puts the essential oil into the air around you. They are often called aromatherapy diffusers.
- Massage Some into Your Forehead – You can simply add a drop or two to some of your favorite lotions and rub it on your forehead. It can also be diluted in some oil you may have around the house, like coconut oil or olive oil, before rubbing it on your forehead.
- Massage on Your Feet – Use the same dilution method as you would use to put the oil on your forehead, but rub it on your feet. When you put it on your feet, the smell still travels up, but through the pressure points on your feet that match to the rest of your body, you’ll get a lot more relaxation so you can go to sleep.
- Mix with Epsom Salt for a Soak – Try taking a bath with your essential oil. Add several drops of water with a cup of Epsom salt into your bath at night. You’ll feel so relaxed when you use this idea.
- Use Some in Massage Oil – This is a great way to get to sleep, especially if you have a partner to help apply the massage oil. Try mixing your chosen oil with some jojoba or sweet almond oil for your massage.
- Spray Some on Your Pillow – A fast way to get the essential oils into your system so that they can work is to mix some distilled water and drops of your oil to the right strength for your use, then spray on your pillow.
- Use Some in a Humidifier – Some humidifiers are made to add essential oils. Find the right type and then use it in the evening when conditions are right.
Using essential oil to help you get to sleep at night is preferable to using prescription or over-the-counter meds that come with many side effects and even potential addiction issues. Essential oils have been used for sleep problems for hundreds of years, and they work.